A malfunctioning water heater was the likely cause of a fire that broke out early Monday morning inside a mobile home.

    No one was injured in the fire, which began at about 5:42 a.m. near the water heater inside the mobile home at 201 E. McArtor, Lot 38, Dodge City Fire Department engineer/fire investigator Scott Wadley said Tuesday. The Thong Tran family used the mobile home that caught fire to store surplus items and lived in another mobile home nearby.


A malfunctioning water heater was the likely cause of a fire that broke out early Monday morning inside a mobile home.
    No one was injured in the fire, which began at about 5:42 a.m. near the water heater inside the mobile home at 201 E. McArtor, Lot 38, Dodge City Fire Department engineer/fire investigator Scott Wadley said Tuesday. The Thong Tran family used the mobile home that caught fire to store surplus items and lived in another mobile home nearby.
    Wadley said the fire spread throughout the mobile home used for storage, causing about $25,000 worth of damage to the interior and the items inside.
    "It was pretty much a total loss," he said.
    He added that the fire department is continuing its investigation into the incident.
    The blaze was confined to the storage mobile home, and neither the mobile home where the Trans were living nor other homes in the park were damaged. No one was inside the mobile home at the time.
    Firefighters remained on the scene for about two hours until the fire was extinguished, and they were dispatched to the same address at about 9 a.m. to take care of some lingering hot spots.

Reach Eric Swanson at (620) 408-9917 or e-mail him at eric.swanson@dodgeglobe.com.