The Victory Electric Cooperative would like to pass on some valuable information about a scam targeting the Dodge City and surrounding areas.
Please be aware that scammers have attempted to defraud Victory Electric members by trying to collect funds over the phone. Individuals calling claiming to be a representative from the "electric company" told members if they didn't go buy a MoneyPak card to pay their electric bill, they would be disconnected within an hour.
Please do not fall for scams like this. Unfortunately there are always scam artists out there trying to take advantage of people. It's an unfortunate economic crimes issue.
Members should never give out personal or credit card information over the phone. When Victory Electric members are contacted, our representatives will clearly identify themselves and always call from a local telephone number. Our representatives will be able to readily volunteer our local telephone number that any of our consumers can call our office back at.
MoneyPak's website gives tips on how to protect yourself from fraud.
• Never give your MoneyPak number to someone you don't know.
• Never give receipt information about your MoneyPak purchase to another party.
• Use your MoneyPak only to reload your prepaid cards or accounts you control.
• Refuse any offer that asks you to buy a MoneyPak and share the number or receipt information by e-mail or phone.
• To use your MoneyPak with PayPal or eBay or other online merchants, transfer the money to your PayPal account before you pay the merchant. Don't e-mail your MoneyPak number directly to any merchant.
• Don't use the MoneyPak to pay taxes or fees to claim "winnings" on a foreign lottery or offer that requires you to pay before you get the item.
• Check the list of approved MoneyPak partners online before you use your MoneyPak to pay.
Victory Electric members' information is kept confidential. Consumer information is never shared with third party companies or individuals. Victory uses the information you give us solely for the purpose of providing you with electric service. It is our policy not to release or sell member information to any third parties for any reason.
We would appreciate if you would share this information with your friends and families. Citizens who believe they have been a victim of this scam are urged to call Victory Electric at (620) 227-2139. Dodge City Police Department or the Ford County Sheriff's office.