Earlier this year, Main Street Dodge City launched a campaign to educate the community on the number of historic properties located within the downtown historic district and the tools available to help restore and maintain those properties.
The Dodge City Historic Downtown District, which is listed on the both the State and National Register of Historic Places, encompasses 76 buildings in the downtown area, 60 percent of which are still deemed to be historic in nature. The goal for 2013 is to bring awareness to as many of the historically significant properties as possible, according to a news release from Main Street. To accomplish this, the Main Street Design Team will be recognizing a few historic properties each month that not only add great historical significance to the downtown district, but have also been well maintained or restored throughout the years.
For the month of April the following historic buildings and businesses were chosen:
-The old Dodge City Post Office and WW Virtue Dry Goods Store located at 612 N. 2nd Avenue that currently houses Ensueno Boutique. The commercial
development of this block had begun by 1887, when part of this parcel was occupied by the Opera House, then being used as a skating rink. This building was constructed in 1916 by a real estate company organized to construct a new post office block. They awarded the contract to J. N. Parham and the post office moved into the new building in October 1916. In 1918, the building housed both the post office and a drug store. The post office continued to occupy the building until its new building was completed in 1931. After the post office moved, the building was remodeled to house the W. W. Virtue Dry Goods Company, which opened in 1932. Virtue had formally worked for the C. R. Anthony chain of stores. By the 1950s, the Virtue Company had moved to the Hiram T. Burr Building.
-The downtown commercial building originally built in 1920 located at 614 N. 2nd Avenue and currently houses Ensueno Hair Studio. Located adjacent to the old post office building, beginning 1887 part of this parcel was also occupied by the Opera House, and then used as a skating rink. By 1895, the building had been converted to a meeting hall. It remained at this location until the years between 1911 and 1918, when it was razed, presumably in preparation for the new post office building. This building was constructed between 1918 and 1926, when it housed the offices and printing facility for the Dodge City Daily Globe newspaper.
For more information on this program or the Main Street Dodge City organization in general, please contact Chelsey Fisher at (620) 227-9501 or firstname.lastname@example.org.