The Western Kansas chapter of the American Red Cross sent a request to the Ford County Commissioners to designate a location in Ford County for a recovery location in the event of a disaster.
"This would be a safe place for residents to go if they lost their home in a tornado or other natural disaster," County Clerk Sharon Seibel said.
Commissioners approved designating the Western State Bank Expo Center as the recovery location.
Previously the Civic Center was the only storm shelter and disaster emergency center in the Dodge City/ Ford County area.
"Now that they've changed ownership the Red Cross is working with the school to renew that partnership again," County Administrator Ed Elam said, "but as of right now, the Expo center is the only shelter we have here."
The Red Cross would also use the location to provide emergency services to the community during the disaster.
According to the terms and conditions depending on the duration and nature of the disaster food and custodial services may be provided by the shelter to those in need.
Showers and other basic necessities would also be made available if the building was used as a storm shelter, and according to Elam the Red Cross will be in charge of making sure those things are in place, the county will not have to do anything else.
In other business the commission;
• Heard budget requests for the 2014 FY from several county organizations including Ford County Council on Aging, Dodge City/ Ford County Development Corporation, Dodge City Main Street and Dodge City Festivals. No action was taken on these items.
• Approved a no parking resolution for a section of Military Avenue from the intersection at 113 Road and 500 feet West. The ban will be effective immediately following the posting of signs in that area.
• Tabled discussion of a burn ban for Ford County. At this time, because of recent precipitation, no burn ban is in place. Commissioners will discuss this issue again at the next commission meeting.
• Accepted the resignation of Lucy Riddell from the Ford County Council on Aging and appointed Rod Reimen to serve in her place.
• Approved agreements for road maintenance and escrow for the V Line Project ITC Great Plains is currently working on. The project will run through a portion of Ford County.
The next County Commission meeting will be held July 1 at 5:30 p.m.