Tip of the Week
Families with a disaster plan in place will be better equipped to stay safe and recover from an emergency. Too often, however, even the best planners forget to include provisions for the four-legged members of the family.
Dr. Ellen I. Lowery, associate director of U.S. professional and veterinary affairs at Hill’s Pet Nutrition, offers some tips for putting together your “pet emergency go-kit.”
* Include first-aid supplies and a first-aid guide book for pets.
* Keep three-day supplies of your pet’s favorite food - in a waterproof container - and bottled water.
* Store an extra safety harness and leash, because even the best-behaved pet may be frightened in an emergency, causing him to run and hide.
* Include waste cleanup supplies. It’s important to properly dispose of pet waste to avoid adding health concerns to an already difficult situation.
* If your pet is on any medications, keep a few days’ worth in your kit. Also include an up-to-date copy of medical records, as well as contact information for your veterinarian and additional veterinary and pet care organizations in your area.
* You should have a brief, written explanation of your pet’s feeding routine, personality and any behavioral issues. In a disaster, your pet may receive care from someone who doesn’t know him as well as you do.
* Don’t forget comfort - include a few toys and a favorite blanket to keep your pet comfortable.
Keep your kit somewhere readily accessible in an emergency. Be sure your pet always wears his/her identification.
If an impending disaster requires you to evacuate, take your pet with you. Be aware of your pet’s favorite hiding places so you’ll know where to look when you’re in a hurry to leave.
Family Movie Night
“Legends of Oz: Dorothy’s Return”
Length: 92 minutes
Synopsis: Dorothy wakes up in post-tornado Kansas, only to be whisked back to Oz to try to save her old friends the Scarecrow, the Lion, the Tin Man and Glinda from a devious new villain, the Jester. Wiser the owl, Marshal Mallow, China Princess and Tugg the tugboat join Dorothy on her latest magical journey through the colorful landscape of Oz to restore order and happiness to Emerald City. - Clarius Entertainment
Violence/scary rating: 2.5
Sexual-content rating: 1
Profanity rating: 1.5
Drugs/alcohol rating: 1.5
Family Time rating: 2. A good family film for those interested in the Oz tales.
(Ratings are judged on a five-point scale, with 5 being “bad for kids” and 1 being “fine for kids.”)
“Princess Pink and the Land of Fake-Believe #1: Moldylocks and the Three Beards,” by Noah Z. Jones
Synopsis: In the Land of Fake Believe, Princess meets a strange girl named Moldylocks. When Princess’s stomach grumbles, Moldylocks takes her to the home of the Three Beards. The girls sit in the Beards’ chairs, eat their chili, and jump on their beds. The Three Beards are not happy when they get home — and they are very, very hungry! Will Moldylocks and Princess go into the chili pot? With easy-to-read text and engaging full-color artwork throughout, kids will be drawn right into this very funny land of fractured fairy tales! — Scholastic Inc.
Did You Know
According to the Human Milk Banking Association of North America, nonprofit breast milk banks are growing in popularity in North America. Five new ones will open this year, and four opened last year, the group said. The five new ones will bring the total to 22.
More Content Now
Family Time: Preparedness tips for pet parents
Tip of the Week