At around 7:57 p.m. Wednesday night, a fire was reported on the roof of the Family Practice Associates building.

"There were little flames on some of the decking that was called in," Dodge City Fire Chief Robert Heinz said. "It was a relatively small fire. Our units were on scene for about 2 hours to make sure smoldering was out."

According to Heinz and Dr. R.C. Trotter, roof work was being done that led to the fire.

"Roofing equipment overheated," Trotter said. "It didn't last very long and was put out quickly."

The only damage done came from the water use.

"Water damage to the ceiling tiles come from us getting the fire out," Heinz said. "The roofing company also got to the scene and assisted most of the night."

Despite the fire, there was no cause to close down the doctor's office.

"It was business as usual today," Trotter said. "Yeah some water got inside and and down the walls but the computers and offices were unharmed so no real damage from the fire got inside.

"Everything was OK."