The Spearville Lancers continued their undefeated season Friday night, moving to 5-0 in 8-Man DI play while preventing the South Gray Rebels from doing the same.

The Lancers won the game 48-2 in a half.

It was the fourth time in five games the team has won at halftime, and was the lowest points the team had allowed since shutting-out Hill City in Week 1.

Friday’s game, like so many before it, was never especially close. The Lancers received the opening kickoff, and on just their second play of the game, senior Bailey Sites broke free around the right side of the field and took it for a touchdown. The Lancers made the 2-point conversion to go up 8-0.

The Rebels got the ball next, but went three-and-out and had to punt. Two plays later, Sites broke free again on the right side of the lines, scoring his second touchdown of the game. The Lancers made another 2-point conversion and the game became 16-0 just 2:58 into the game.

South Gray head coach Jesse Hodgson said he learned his team needs to be more aggressive.

“We like to get to the outside, and they flew to the outside and got there before we did,” Hodgson said. “That’s a very well-coached team. Coach Fowler does an awesome job with those guys and he’s created a program there that you’d like to have for your own.”

It was the first game of district-play for South Gray, and Hodgson said the team will bounce back.

“We’ll look at what we did on film and get right back to what we were doing,” Hodgson said.

The Lancers were 6 of 6 on 2-point conversions, and their defense played strong, holding the Rebels to multiple three-and-outs as well as catching an interception. Although the Lancer offense was effective, it was also fumble-prone. The Lancers had three fumbles Friday-night. They lost two, while the Rebels only fumbled the ball once and recovered it themselves.

The one fumble the Lancers made but recovered themselves was possibly the most noticeable. On their last drive on offense, and deep within their own territory, the Lancers fumbled the ball and recovered it on their own 1-yard-line. On the next play, the Spearville runner ran right to try and get around the outside of the line but was tackled while still in the end zone. It was the only two points the Rebels scored in the game.

Spearville head coach Matt Fowler said this was the first game the team had won in a long time in which they turned the ball over more times than the opponent, and said fumbles are not a typical thing for this team.

“We’ll take it very seriously,” Fowler said.

Spearville next takes on Ness City in Ness City, Kansas on Oct. 6.