BUCKLIN — Ford County Fire battled a house fire Wednesday morning with assistance from the Minneola Fire Department.
According to Ford County Fire Chief Robert Boyd, at approximately 11:20 a.m., fire crews were dispatched to a residence in Bucklin for a report of a structure fire.
"First-in units reported a two-story structure with heavy fire and smoke showing," Boyd said. "Stations 1,2,4,5 and Minneola Fire Responded and were able to limit fire spread to the east half of the first and seconds floors.
"Preliminary investigation points towards a heat lamp placed in a dog house that was next to the residence.
"Crews were on scene about 3 hours."
At the time of the house fire, it was unoccupied and no injuries were reported.
The home was a rent-to-own and was being occupied by Brianna Alcala and her family of 5.
"I don't even know what to think or to say at this point except thank you to all the fire fighters, sheriff's department and everyone else that came to help, and everyone else that has called and texted," Alcala said. "We're incredibly heart broken to say the least but we're are all OK."
Assistance for Alcala came in swiftly with members of The Red Cross meeting with the family on Thursday along with Alcala's sister setting up a gofundme page.
"We have an account open at Fidelity State Bank in Dodge as well," Alcala said, "for people who don't want to donate to the gofundme."
To make a donation to the Alcala's visit www.gofundme.com/the-alcala-fire-recovery-fund or visit Fidelity State Bank in Dodge City at 510 N. 2nd Avenue.
To contact the writer email firstname.lastname@example.org