The Dodge City Red Demons girls basketball team opens the 2018 portion of their schedule with a game against the Cimarron Lady Jays Friday night.
Tipoff for the girls game is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Both the girls and boys varsity games will take place at United Wireless Arena instead of at Dodge City High School
The junior varsity games will still happen in the Dodge City High School Field House.
The Lady Demons are 3-2 this season and enter 2018 coming off a loss to Guymon back on Dec. 19, 2017 on a last-second shot by a score of 39-37.
As 2018 starts though, and the team enters the larger part of its schedule, here are some statistical trends through the first four games.
In the points department, the team is getting contributions from nearly every player appearing on stat-sheets in games. Only four players out of 14 to appear on the five stat-sheets this season haven’t scored, but in many cases those players haven’t seen game-time if they have appeared.
Not only are many players scoring, many are scoring well. Of the 14 mentioned above, seven have 10 or more points total this season. Four players have over 20 points this season.
Here are the top-5 scorers on the team by total points:
- Freshman Kisa Unruh: 53 points (average: 10.6 per game)
- Junior Ezinne Okoro: 36 points (average: 7.2 per game)
- Junior Madison Armstrong: 32 points (average: 6.4 per game)
- Sophomore Chidera Okoro: 28 points (average: 5.6 per game)
- Junior Hayden Sanchez: 17 points (average: 3.4 per game)
Much like the points, the Lady Demons have lots of players with assists. Six players have four or more assists this season, though only two have double-digit totals.
Here are the top-5 players based on total assists so far this season:
- Junior Madison Armstrong: 15 (average: 3 per game)
- Freshman Kisa Unruh: 10 (average: 2 per game)
- Sophomore Chidera Okoro: 8 (average: 1.6 per game)
- Junior Payton Magouirk: 7 (average: 1.4 per game)
- Tied with four each: Senior Brianna Buller and junior Ezinne Okoro (each averaging .8 per game)
Like with points, the Lady Demons have a whole host of players with high numbers of rebounds. Seven of them are in double-figures this season, and eight are averaging at least two per-game.
Here are the top-5 players in order of most total rebounds this season.
- Junior Ezinne Okoro: 37 (average: 7.4 per game)
- Sophomore Chidera Okoro: 31 (average: 6.2 per game)
- Freshman Kisa Unruh: 23 (average: 4.6 per game)
- Junior Hayden Sanchez: 15 (average: 3 per game)
- Junior Payton Magouirk: 14 (average: 2.8 per game)
The Lady Demons take on the Cimarron Lady Jays at 6:30 p.m. Friday night in United Wireless Arena.