The Dodge City Red Demons boys basketball team opens the 2018 portion of their schedule with a game against the Cimarron Bluejays Friday night.
Tipoff is scheduled for 8 p.m. and will follow the girls varsity game. Unlike previous games this season, tonight’s varsity matches will take place in United Wireless Arena in Dodge City, Kansas, rather than at the Dodge City High School Field House.
Only the junior varsity games will be played at Dodge City High School tonight.
The Red Demons are 2-3 so far this season, but enter 2018 having finished 2017 with a 91-59 crushing of the Guymon Tigers back on Dec. 19, 2017.
With that said, here are some numbers on who the leaders are in some key statistics.
The Red Demons boys basketball team has some strong scoring, but they also have a wide assortment of players contributing. Of 15 players who have appeared on stat-sheets through the first five games of the season, all but two have scored. Seven of those players are in double-digits.
Here are the top-5 players based on total points scored this season:
- Junior Noah Sowers: 80 points (average: 16 points per game)
- Senior Hunter Heath: 61 points (average: 12.2 points per game)
- Senior Luke Gleason: 58 points (average: 11.6 per game)
- Senior Dawson Williams: 43 points (average: 8.6 per game)
- Tied for fifth with 36 points each: Senior Kaden Riekenberg and junior Adrian Mendoza
The Red Demons have a few dominate players in terms of assists, with only three having double-digit assist totals up to this point in the season. Eight players have one to five assists this season and four players have none at all.
Based on that, here are the top-3 players based on assists:
- Junior Noah Sowers: 22 assists (average: 4.4 per game)
- Senior Kaden Riekenberg: 16 assists (average: 3.2 per game)
- Sophomore Beau Foster: 10 assists (average: 2 per game)
Six Red Demons have double-digit rebound totals this season, but only five players of the 15 being counted here (ones who have shown up on stat-sheets so far this season) have less than six total rebounds.
Here are the top-5 players in total rebounds so far this season:
- Senior Hunter Heath: 33 (average: 6.6 per game)
- Sophomore John Johnson: 26 (average: 5.2 per game)
- Senior Dawson Williams: 25 (average: 5 per game)
- Junior Noah Sowers: 20 (average: 4 per game)
- Tied for fifth with 12 each: Senior Luke Gleason, junior Adrian Mendoza and Junior Rameses Vela
The Red Demons boys basketball team takes on the Cimarron Bluejays tonight at 8 p.m. Friday in United Wireless Arena.