All that remains is a grain elevator and a few buildings, and most of us zip right by without thinking about the settlement or even noticing it.
Howell, Kansas, in Fairview Township in Ford County, was originally called Morrison Station and was a railroad stop. Later the name was changed to Howell Station, then "Station" was dropped and the town became simply "Howell."
The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company built a depot in 1897.
The community opened its first post office for two years in June, 1886, closing in October, 1888.
There was a post office again for another two years from November 26, 1895 to April 30, 1897. The 1880's and early 1890's where the glory years for Howell when the population reached 150 people.
Howell once again got a post office on August 10, 1909, but it closed on March 6, 1916, when rural mail service began in Ford County.
All that remains of this community, nine miles west of Dodge City on US Highway 50, is a Pride Ag grain elevator and a few buildings. Though outside Dodge City limits, the mailing addresses for structures in Howell is Dodge City.
The most prominent feature near Howell is the Boot Hill Museum Santa Fe Trail rut site across US Highway 50 and west of the elevator. These ruts are among the best preserved along the trail.
At the site are interpretive storyboards. The site is free and open to the public during daylight hours 365 days a year.
This black and white photograph shows the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company depot, built in 1897, at Howell, Kansas.