HUTCHINSON — Ford County will be well represented during the 87th annual Kansas Junior Livestock Show from Sept. 27-29 at the Kansas State Fairgrounds in Hutchinson.
According to KJLS, 772 youth from 97 counties will be involved this year.
The Dodge City representatives are:
• Colton Hahn; Market Lamb Lamb and Dorset Ewe.
• Briggs Kerr; Market Barrow, Duroc Gilt and Commercial Gilt Gilt.
• Brooklyn Kerr; Market Barrow, Dark AOB Gilt and Commercial Gilt Gilt.
• Chance Kerr; Market Steer and Chianina Heifer.
• Adeline Robinson; Commercial Doe.
• Halle Robinson; Meat Goat and Commercial Doe.
• Josie Robinson; Commercial Doe.
• Easton Shenk; Charolais Heifer.
• Jayden Torres; Market Barrow.
The Bucklin representative is:
• Lincoln Martin; Market Barrow, Yorkshire Gilt and Commercial Gilt Gilt.
The Spearville representatives are:
• Braeden Simon; Dark AOB Gilt.
• Quinlan Simon; Market Barrow.
The show will award cash to exhibitors of the top five animals in both market and breeding shows in all four species.
According to KJLS, direct cash payouts will range from $4,000 to $500 for steers; $1,000 to $300 for heifers; $2,000 to $500 for market hogs; $750 to $250 for breeding gilts; $2,000 to $300 for market lambs; $500 to $50 for registered ewes; $500 to $100 for commercial ewes; $2,000 to $400 for market goats and $750 to $200 for commercial doe kids.
Several scholarships will also be presented during the show.
The scholarships will be awarded to exhibitors who have, "excelled academically, in community service and in 4-H/FFA."
In the past, the scholarships awarded have totaled $450,900 to 323 exhibitors since 1993.
A total of $19,900 was awarded to 10 individuals last year.
Editor's Note: This story is part of the Good News Initiative where the Dodge City Daily Globe will be highlighting a positive news story daily, sponsored by First Dental of Dodge City.
To send inquiries about possible positive news stories, email managing editor Vincent Marshall at firstname.lastname@example.org.