It was a perfect storm which changed Dodge City from a wild west town to a city of businessmen, farmers, ranchers and families that had a "respectable" reputation.

In addition to established businesses, schools, churches and homesteads filled with families became the predominate landscape of this western frontier town.

By 1884, things had began to settle down in Dodge City. Still, in the summer of 1884, drovers came to Dodge City one last time.

Within just a few months after the last drives, things took a dramatic turn for this area.

In March 1885, a couple of major events changed everything. First, laws against selling alcohol were toughened to the point saloons were forced sell alcohol clandestinely, becoming "drugstores" and "restaurants," and closing their doors at night.

This changed the "anything goes" Dodge City to a more staid and sober Dodge.

Second, and much more importantly, the Texas Fever quarantine line separating the Texas longhorns from domestic cattle moved west all the way to the Colorado border, cutting the entire state of Kansas out of the cattle drives.

The Western Trail Cattle was closed. There would be no cattle drive through Dodge City in 1885.

To add insult to injury, fire and ice plagued Dodge City in 1885 and 1886. Without people awake all night to put out fires, most of central Dodge City's businesses burned to the ground in 1885 and 1886.

On top of that, blizzards devastated the region during the winter of 1885-86. They took a toll on the local economy with staggering livestock loses during this terrible winter.

By some accounts 90 percent of the unfed cattle on the high plains perished. The remaining 10 percent were left weakened to the point they would have been better off dead.

Throw an economic recession on to all the above - one might think a town or area could never recover. But recover it did.

By the time all of this happened Dodge City's economic base was much more stable than it had been during the buffalo hunt and cattle drive days.

This new base was more diversified and less prone to wild market swings. Dodge City businesses no longer had to rely on the numbers of wild game killed in the region or the numbers of feral cattle driven through town to fill their coffers.

Local farmers and ranchers were here to stay. They had families to feed and clothe, and houses to furnish.

With numerous ranches and wheat being grown to feed their livestock, cattle was still king in the "Queen of the Cowtowns."