The Dodge City Red Demons wrestling team competed in the Eagle Invitational tournament in Colby, Kansas Dec. 8 and Dec. 9. Overall the team placed eighth of 18 teams in the tournament.
The team wrestles tonight in Great Bend, Kansas.
Junior Evan Darville was voted Most Outstanding Wrestler for the Red Demons’ pool, Pool B.
Additionally, Darville finished with a team-best 7-0 record in the tournament. His performance was of little surprise to Red Demons head coach Lars Lueders.
“It just confirmed what we saw over the offseason,” Lueders said. “He’s a lot more aggressive, he’s stronger, so he has really turned it on.”
The performance also validated the hard work he did and how much he learned in the offseason.
“We’re excited about what he’s gonna do this year for sure,” Lueders said.
As for tonight, the Red Demons take on the Great Bend Panthers at 6 p.m. in Great Bend, Kansas.
Among the most notable likely matchups will be Great Bend sophomore Drew Liles against Dodge City sophomore Anthony Mariche in the 113 division.
Liles is ranked as the No. 4 wrestler in the 5A 113 weight division. Mariche, is also ranked among 6A high school wrestlers, is and is coming off a 6-1 performance for the Red Demons in the Eagle Invitational.
“I think the biggest thing I’m impressed with Mariche so far is just his willingness and ability to learn,” Lueders said. “He didn’t wrestle last year, and so he’s kind of having to catch up on some things that he missed out on, and he’s definitely willing to listen, to learn, and even after he’s lost he comes back strong. He doesn’t get down on himself.”
Those two elements are the things about Mariche that stand out to Lueders most, Lueders said.
“He accepts challenges, he doesn’t get intimidated by good kids, so he actually looks forward to wrestling them,” Lueders said.
After tonight, the team will play an Invitational at Bishop Carroll Saturday, then will be off until Jan. 4, 2018 when the team returns home to face Garden City.
Here are the results from last week’s Eagle Invitational:
Red Demon team placement: 7 of 18
Individual, in-tournament records:
- Evan Darville (7-0) in 285 division
- Cody Terrell (3-4) in 220 division
- Tyler Pipenger (5-2) in 195 division
- Jullian Galindo (5-2) in 182 division
- Jashon Taylor (6-1) in 170 division
- Weston Moon (3-4) in the 160 division
- Preston Moon (4-3) in the 152 division
- Carlos Marquez (1-6) in the 145 division
- Garrett Edwards (6-1) in the 138 division
- Aiden Hurtado (2-5) in 132 division
- Daniel Rojas (2-5) in 126 division
- Couy Weil (2-2) in 120 division
- Anthony Mariche (6-1) in 113 division
- Andrew Rodriguez (4-2) in 106 division