The Dodge City Red Demons led from start to finish, beating the Wichita Heights Falcons 49-27 Friday night.

The Red Demons hadn’t beaten the Falcons since before 2008, but showed no signs of intimidation or timidity Friday night.

Red Demon defenders were all over the field, especially senior Marcos Fisher and sophomore Alden Knedler. On offense senior Sam Mead had a great game, as did junior quarterback Beau Foster. Senior Jaiel Johnson helped the Red Demons break plays throughout the night, both as the ball carrier and as a blocker.

"My parting words to the team before the game was 'You be the hammer, don't be the nail,'" Red Demon head coach Dave Foster said.

The Red Demons scored first on a six-yard scamper by Johnson early in the first quarter. The touchdown came on a drive in which the Wichita Heights Falcons got hit with two different pass-interference penalties.

After a quarterback sneak by Wichita Heights senior quarterback K’Vonte Baker which cut the Red Demon lead to 14-7, Red Demon junior Cedric Rosales blocked a punt, picked it up and scored to give the Red Demons a 21-7 lead with 5:51 left in the first half.

With 2:38 left in the first half, Wichita Heights sophomore Joshua Sanders ran around the right edge and scored to help cut the Red Demons’ lead to 21-14.

Dodge City wasn’t done however, not even after Foster ran out of bounds with four seconds left at the eight yard line.

On the next play, Red Demon junior Lakin Scheck, the holder for what appeared to be  a field-goal attempt, picked up the ball and dropped it into the arms of Sam Mead for a touchdown. The extra point afterward gave the Red Demons a 28-14 lead at halftime.

In the third quarter, the Red Demons turned the ball over on the half’s first drive, and soon after, K’Vonte Baker took the ball around the right edge, got a couple blocks, broke a couple of tackles and took the ball 55 yards to the house, cutting the Red Demon lead to 28-21 early in the third.

On the ensuing drive, the Red Demons got deep into Wichita Heights territory, but with about five minutes left in the third, Beau Foster rolled right under pressure and threw the ball.

Wichita Heights senior Jamir Johnson was the closest to the ball and intercepted it, taking it all the way for a score. The extra point was missed, which allowed the Red Demons to maintain a 28-27 lead with five minutes left in the third.

Foster made up for it on the next drive, breaking multiple runs, including a short run in to score, giving the Red Demons a 35-27 lead with 1:35 left in the third quarter.

The Falcons drove down the field early in the fourth, but weren’t able to convert on fourth down. The Red Demons drove all the way down the field, with Jaiel Johnson running in for a 28-yard touchdown to give the Red Demons a 42-27 lead with over seven minutes left in the fourth quarter.

With 2:32 left in the game, Foster broke through again, taking it to the house to give the Red Demons a 49-27 lead after the extra point.

The Red Demons head to Great Bend next week to face the Great Bend Panthers.