Opening night is coming for high school winter sports teams throughout the area. Here are some of the matchups and events going on Thursday and Friday. See the Dodge City Daily Globe’s Winter Sports Guide in Saturday’s paper for a more in-depth breakdown of most of the teams.
Dodge City High School teams
The Red Demon wrestling team heads to Pratt Thursday night for a dual. As of the Nov. 13, 2018 rankings on Kansas Wrestling.org, Dodge City was ranked sixth in the 6A rankings. Individually-wranked Red Demons in this set of rankings include:
- Senior Evan Darville (No. 1 in the 285 weight division)
- Junior Cody Terrell (No. 6 in the 220 division)
- Senior Garrett Edwards (No. 3 in the 138 division)
- Junior Anthony Mariche (No. 1 in the 113 division)
- Freshman Damian Mendez (No. 3 in the 106 division)
Their opponent is no slouch either. Pratt is ranked No. 2 in the 4A state rankings as of the same date. Those ranked in the individual 4A rankings include:
- Senior Sevren Hance (No. 4 in the 220 division)
- Junior Hunter Huber (No. 5 in the 195 division)
- Senior Jaden Koehler (No. 5 in the 170 division)
- Senior Kadence Riner (No. 1 in the 152 division)
- Sophomore Kaiser Pelland (No. 5 in the 113 division)
- Sophomore Devon Weber (No. 3 in the 106 division)
It’s difficult to know for sure which athletes will actually wrestle Thursday night ahead of time, but depending on who does, Thursday’s matches could be highly competitive. Start time is scheduled for 6 p.m. at Pratt High School.
The boys swimming team heads to Newton High School for an invitational swim meet Thursday. Start time is scheduled for 2 p.m.
Boys and Girls Basketball at Junction City:
The boys and girls basketball teams head to Junction City to take on the Blue Jays Friday night. Game times are scheduled for 6:00 p.m. for the girls game, and 7:30 p.m.
The Red Demons opened last season in Dodge City against the Blue Jays. The girls team won last year 46-39, while the boys lost 83-76.
Other schools in Ford County:
Bucklin: The Bucklin Red Aces boys and girls basketball teams open their season at home with games against the South Gray Rebels Friday night.
Spearville: The Spearville Lancers basketball teams open the season against the Ashland Blue Jays at Spearville High School.
Other basketball teams in the Southern Plains - Iroquois Activities Association playing Friday night:
- The Fowler Goldbugs host the Pawnee Heights Tigers
- The Kiowa County Mavericks head to Pratt-Skyline to take on the Thunderbirds
- The Ingalls Bulldogs host the Moscow Wildcats
- The Hodgeman County Longhorns head to Deerfield for a match against the Deerfield Spartans
- The Minneola Wildcats head to Cunningham to take on the Cunningham Wildcats
- The Satanta Indians host the South Central Timberwolves