(Snyder, TX) -- The Dodge City Community College Men’s Basketball team was not able to come away with the win Sunday evening. In a close high scoring affair, the Conqs were one or two defensive stops away from pulling out the victory in a 100-98 loss.

The Conqs started out the game out fast with 5 quick points. From there, it was a track meet the remainder of the game. Both teams would trade baskets over the next few minutes. Dodge City would maintain that 5-point lead going into the first half media timeout. Out of that timeout, the first run of the game would commence. Unfortunately, it was the Mustangs and not the Conquistadors. Northwest Kansas would score seven quick unanswered points, leading to a timeout by Coach Steve Tucker and the Conqs, now trailing for the first time 30-28. The timeout seemed to be just what the doctor ordered for the Conq offense as they immediately scored on the first possession, and got their offense back on the right track. Again, it was back to each team responding to the other. With 3:34 to go in the first half, DC3 held a 40-38 lead, when Justice Dixon was able to get to the basket for a layup to expand the lead to four points. The Mustangs would answer with a big dunk on their ensuing possession. The Conqs would not allow them to gain any momentum from the dunk, however as Dodge City would go on to score five unanswered points, leading to a Mustang timeout. The Conqs were up 47-40 with 1:51 to before Northwest Kansas would score four unanswered to end the half.

The scoring did not slow down much for either team in the second half. It started with Dodge City doubling up the Mustangs the first 2 minutes and 13 seconds, expanding the lead to 5 at 57-52. The Mustangs would hit a free throw to cut it to four before Dodge City would hit on all strides for the next couple of minutes. Outscoring the Mustangs 7-3 over the next two minutes would give the Conqs their biggest lead of the game at 64-55. Unfortunately for DC3, the Mustangs would answer back with an 8-0 run to cut it to one and lead to a timeout. Out of the timeout, the Conqs had a solid possession leading to a bucket, and then another four unanswered by the Mustangs, and they retook the lead 67-66 with 13:15 to go in the second half.

Both teams would respond with small runs, first, the Mustangs would take a 74-71 lead then the Conqs answered to retake the lead 75-74, until they went into the media timeout all square at 75. Both teams would score on their possessions out of the timeout to go into a timeout by the Mustangs tied at 78. They would again trade baskets until Northwest Kansas was able to get an 87-82 edge with just over four minutes to play. With under a minute to play the Mustangs held a 100-92 lead and the Conqs were able to go on a 6-0 run to cut it to just a one-point lead but unfortunately it was too little too late as there was very little time on the clock and the Conquistadors fell in their final game of the season 100-98. 

The Conqs shot extremely well in this contest, shooting 57 percent from the field and 47 percent from 3-point range.

Jyrus Freels had a great final game, scoring 28 points on 14-16 shooting.